Back to basics.

For a course I’m taking at the uni I spent the last weeks programming entirely in assembler for a not very small micro.

Last time I did that for real work was about 12 years ago, dinosaurs roamed the Earth and the 16F84A was popular among my friends here.

It felt quite refreshing but the compiler sometimes behaved like a real jerk.

For instance this was flagged as invalid:

label   db $BA, $DC, $0E

But trimming the spaces made it happy:

label   db $BA,$DC,$0E

(and I spent my weekly cursing budget chasing it)

Fortunately it runs fine under Wine, can be called from a makefile and the debugger/simulator works.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *