This is by far one of the most productive things I did this week outside of work (at least the one I can write about here).
A couple of months ago my ex gave it to me, it started with intermittent display issues and one day it stopped completely. I picked it up and stored it.
The other weekend I was in a bit of cleaning frenzy and I remembered that it was using valuable space on the shack doing nothing so I set to see if it had any hope of working again. Otherwise I'd take the transformer and dish motor, the magnetron would go to a friend and the rest sold as scrap.
This is the second time I fix a microwave oven and I'm amazed at the amount of grease and acid stench that accumulates inside them.
I bridged the safety interlock pads on the control board and powered it with an isolation transformer. It kinda turned on but was not responsive and only some digits were dimly lit. It was also very sticky.
After that I cleaned it using lukewarm water, detergent and a toothbrush, a scoop with a hair drier and then another bath with alcohol.
Now it works!
The keypad is a mess, besides being sticky and stenchy too the conductive traces were broken, like dissolved, on the connector side. For some models there are still replacements on the market but they aren't cheap and also what's the fun on that?
I peeled away the layers, traced it and make a replacement using tact switches. The decal will be glued on top of that. It works fine, there's less waste (but I'm short of a spot welder) and off it goes to Radio Futura.