Today was one of those days when in order to do something I say to myself “I need this tool and (especially now) I can not buy nor justify buying it. So let’s build one”.
And that in itself takes more time than the whole project.
I was in the process of fixing an old dentists lamp that was laying around, the fresnel lens was originally held with some tiny and feeble metal strips that were in horrible shape.
Instead of making a replacement with some leftover stock or filler rods I decided to make a proper retention ring with sheet metal from a computer case.
But, my simple compass wasn’t able to make circles as big as I needed. Thus I set to build a beam compass.
I had the hardened points from a couple of broken punches, so it was only a matter of cross drilling some bolts and figuring out how to end up with something that would be useful.
Except from the bolts everything else came from either the rust bucket or the trash.
There are a lot of things that can be improved but as it is, it fulfills its intended purpose just fine:
Pity that it’s already too late to start the plasma cutter and finish this part.