While I was
waiting for the tiles to dry a bit before cleaning I decided to put some dabs and stringers.
Cast iron is not very nice to weld with a stick but suffices to practice and improve my technique, specially with my right hand.
This machine has a bit of trouble lighting up 6010s but if I run them a bit hot I can get a sustained arc.
Late night weld practice
(this has nothing to do with a window manager)
During the last couple of days I was mostly dumb because of the heat. But the nightly breeze gave me a bit of life.
So I started to tile the new bathroom.
I helped many times with this kind of endeavors but this is the first that I’m completely on my own.
The initial bucket of paste yielded around 7 tiles, most of it ended on the floor. But when I finally got the hang of how to use the trowel I managed to put 16 tiles with little waste.
Is it a screw? A rivet? Why not both.
I found this dud in a bag of screws.
I still need to practice a lot but these ones are not dull anymore and cut more or less similar chips on both sides.
before taking apart the clutch cylinders I knew I needed (and wanted) to change them for new parts. And today they arrived from the mail. But with a small twist:
Peugeot 504 wrong style of brake and clutch cylinders
Fortunately the seller agreed to exchange them, so I repackaged the wrong parts (because the hoses and the other pump were the right ones) and dropped the box at the mail.
I’m amazed that even with that hiccup it was cheaper to order them from a parts store at the other corner of the province than buying locally.
Just for kicks I wanted to see what’s inside the brake master cylinder but it was really really stuck.
First I enlarged the recess on the piston a bit and used a half inch tap to try and grab it. It turned slightly but then the threads snapped.
My curiosity called for extreme measures and I conjured the power of the air to aid me.
Rummaging through the jar of pipe fittings I found a combination that allowed me to connect the cylinder to the pistol I use to pump the tires.
I gently increased the pressure until the innards flew across the table. This was sketchy and unsafe as fuck. Think of a potato cannon but throwing a chunk of metal.
Peugeot 504: using compressed air to remove brake cylinder piston
The pistons were more or less acceptable save for rubber and dirt deposits. But some of the seals almost disintegrated when touched.
Peugeot 504: master brake cylinder pistons
Surprisingly the master cylinder for the clutch was in very good condition, not scraped nor corroded and the seals looked fine. The piston came out with a light tap.
However in the slave things were quite different. Using lots of penetrating oil and a vise as a makeshift press I was able to move the piston but it refused to come out completely on its own.
So I decided to pump it out using old engine oil and the working master cylinder. I clamped it to the drill press and slowly filled it with 15W40.
Getting rid of all the air bubbles took a longer time than I expected.
Peugeot 504 hydraulic clutch: pumping master cylinder with engine oil
Finally, the slave piston was released. The seal was ok-ish but both the piston and the inner walls had pitting and scratches.
Peugeot 504 hydraulic clutch: slave cylinder piston Peugeot 504 hydraulic clutch: slave cylinder
I hung everything upside down and loosened the purging screws to collect the oil. I thought it was a lot more than this but it’s about a small coffee cup.
Peugeot 504 hydraulic clutch: all the oil in the system
This weekend was a bit slow.
A couple of days ago I started to learn
FreeCAD, mostly for its FEM analysis mode and to build a couple of construction plans.
I made another part of the cable trays for our comms closet. Initially I wanted to use FreeCAD for that but at the end it was faster to do a bit of trig and sketch the cuts on paper. It’s held in place with a couple of rivets. I also added a layer of pvc to shield the cables from the metal edges. Fits like a glove.
Cable tray bend
I also started to build a steel support for one of the walls. We made a big opening for cables and I’m a bit uneasy about the lack of support.
Fun with a plasma cutter follows:
These doors were waiting a long time to be installed. Now this looks a bit more professional than before, except that on the opposite side there’s a chunk of wall missing and a lot of dust on the new hole to feed another cable tray.
Comms and server rack at Futura Comms and server rack at Futura
We have a discrete, and new, metal door but the inner handle is one that was in the house since the 1950’s.
On the outside there’s just a simple knob but it’s not linked to the lock. The handle works as intended but if we are not careful when pulling we end up with it on our hands.
I made a simple plate and kept the rod in place with an M4 screw threaded through it.
Looks like it came with the door:
The last two days I finished the welds on
those clamps, built some to hold the other end of the ropes and four sturdier to screw to the roof trusses. All the screws are paired with either a nylock or two nuts locked to each other.
I painted the pieces for the bottom frame with black enamel and the ones for the roof with white to match the rest of the room. I know they’ll rust in some weeks but I left the blued surface exposed. I never tire of looking at them.