(It was about time I interrupted a never ending pile of drafts with something)
So, for a bit more than a month I’ve been attending a seminar on VHDL microcontroller design.
One of the workshops involved doing some simple exercises on eval boards. While the overall instruction set is small (fits on less than a page) the idea of programming and then assembling the sources using pencil and paper wasn’t very appealing at the moment.
It sure is a fun way to keep the mind fresh but given time constraints I couldn’t cope with such a long debugging cycle.
And… The obvious path was to build a tool.
I reused parts of python-lx200 because smart data structures and dumb code are nice. Most of this could be implemented with M4 too, perhaps for another code golf session.
A couple of years ago I’d probably tried to use Bison and Flex but doubt that I could manage something like this in just a handful of hours during the weekend.
There are some rough edges but as it is it supports labels, variable definitions and emits a valid IHEX file. I made a couple of dumb mistakes but they were really evident when looking at what Quartus made of the output file.
I’m quite proud of the result, I don’t know when was the last time I had so much fun doing a one off project, even if it wouldn’t be used anymore after the seminar.
This year I haven’t read as many books as others at this point.
My list so far has:
“Las neuronas de Dios” by Diego Golombek
“Effetti personali” by Francesca Duranti
“Blonde’s requien” by Raymond Marshall / James H. Chase
“The terminal Man” by Michael Crichton
“La Mala Fama” by Benchi Calligo
“La Otra Orilla” by Raúl Filgueira
“Sacrificios en Días Santos” by Antonio Dal Masetto
“Justine, or The Misfortunes of Virtue” and “La Marquise de Gange” by Donatien Alphonse François de Sade. Horrible Spanish translations. The ones I remember in English were better but I should try next time with the original in French.
And on the queue:
“Consciousness and the Brain” by Stanislas Dehaene
“The Psychology of Selling”, “Master Your Time, Master Your Life”, “Kiss that Frog” and “Eat that frog!” by Brian Tracy.
“What Color Is Your Parachute” by Richard Bolles.
“Management – Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices” by Peter Drucker
“Tras la crisis, El nuevo rumbo de la política económica y laboral en Argentina y su impacto” by Damill, Frenkel y Maurizio
I used clear standard automotive hoses for the steam boiler in order to have at a quick glance the water level. They are “rated” at 4 bar but having hot stuff inside certainly didn’t help and with a small hissing warning they sprung a leak that turned into a nice jet of steam.
The pressure is low but in any case standing nearby when that happened was a bit startling.
I’ve been wanting for quite a while to indulge in my steam interests and last week was the perfect moment to give them a spin.
A couple of blocks from here there’s a facility that bottles carbonated water but also rents hot/cold dispensers. From time to time they swap the boilers when the limescale fouls them; discarding the whole unit, thermostat, heater and all.
Every time I walk past their door I pick one or two if they are not pitted. They are very nice, made of stainless and have a lot of uses.
After spending a great part of the other day refurbishing a nice chuck I set out to fix some of the problems on the drill press.
The whole quill tube has a lot of play but turns out there’s a set screw loose that just makes it better.
I chucked a short section of precision ground bar and set up a dial indicator while I ran the pulley with my hand. The run out was around two tenths of millimeter. Tried again after moving the jaws and applying more force but the result was the same.
Some fumbling and a big hit with a punch removed the chuck from the shaft. There were some patches of light corrosion on both surfaces.
Even so, a dial indicator on the drive shaft showed a wobble of a couple of hundredths. That’s more than good for a machine like this.
But looking closer inside the chuck the taper it had machining marks, like concentric ridges. I didn’t know better when I first assembled it and assumed they were for improved grip or something.
I started the motor and lightly kissed the shaft with fine sandpaper, first 800 and then some 1200 grit until it was smooth to the touch.
Then I painted it with a sharpie and installed the chuck again. This time I noticed it was kind of a loose fit and sure enough when pulling it down only some parts were inked.
I held a drill on the vise and with a paperclip and progressively fine sand paper removed the roughness inside the cone. Now there are ink spots more or less evenly distributed and the indicator registered about 15 hundredths.