Long ago I won a lot of used tools at an auction. Among them there was a small two ton jack.
Overall it was in fair condition but the lever was really hard to move, so I left it with other low priority things to repair.
Upon a closer look the smaller piston was bent. I chucked it into a vise and tried to loose the nuts but they were firmly stuck.
I cleaned the base with a rag and wire brush and then welded it to a piece of iron channel. I love 6010 rods. I also learned that whatever was used as hydraulic oil catches fire with ease.
Laying on the floor with one foot on it I used a big wrench and a hammer, this time succeeding in getting it apart.
It doesn’t seem like much but this small curvature made it almost impossible to pump:
I decided against straightening because with the tools I have at hand it would be very certain that I’ll scratch the good part of it and thus completely ruining the jack. So I cut the bent parts with an angle grinder.
Just by chance the parts that were badly out of shape are almost the same length as some ground rods I have from a textile machine.
The plan goes like this: drill and tap the remains of the original piston, make the rod hole bigger and use a long bolt to hold them in place.
I used the cutouts and some small welding rods from the trash to make a new cross handle.
I’m very proud of that weld, the ripples and profile are very smooth and consistent. But I had to grind it flush.
This is before the final assembly, now I can operate it with a single finger.